Monday, February 25, 2008

On a More Serious Note...


I have been studying this book in my devotionals for the last month or so. I received this book from Shelly as a gift for Christmas and it was just what I needed. Each week covers a Name of God that is described through scripture and Bible stories. And as a result, I've been getting to know my God so much through this study as I learn about His character, His promises in my life, and am working out the belief (or lack thereof) I have in who He says He is. It's been a great experience so far!

It's been a great discussion topic for our Tuesday morning prayer/bible study time as well with Cindy, Karen, and Kara who are such a blessing to share this time with. We worship together, pray together, and encourage each other in our walk each week. I've also been putting together some worship songs that apply to the "Name" that we studied for that week for us to worship with when we meet.
In this book, Ann Spangler challenges the reader each week to:

Reflect on scripture
Praise God (in application to that name)
Offer Thanks (for things that He has done in accordance to the name we are studying)
Confess (any unbelief or doubts that we feel toward God's character in our circumstances
Ask God (requests change through each week's study)

Names of God we have covered so far:

Elohim - "God, Mighty Creator "- Genesis 1; Psalm 102:25-27a

El Roi - "The God Who Sees Me" - Genesis 16 (the story of Hagar); Psalm 33:13-15,18-19)

El Shadday - "God Almighty" - Genesis 17; Psalm 91

El Olam - "The Everlasting God" - Psalm 90; Isaiah 40:28-31

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary

and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,

and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD

will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)

That is one of my favorite passages!

Something the Lord has me reflecting on right now. I have been convicted of how I spend most of my days during the week. Whether it's working on how clean I can get my house, or making sure I'm up to date on my emails, or just on the computer too much (grin), when's my next time away from the house, etc. Oh, and my children are with me all day, but do I give them the quality time that they need? Over the past year or so, the answer is no. I have gradually drifted from the whole reason I quit work 9 years ago. To be with my children. My eyes have been taken off of my sole purpose of being with my kids and that is to give them the time and attention that only a mommy can give.
I have asked the Lord to give me a defining thing that will completely change my heart back toward my kids. And after studying on "The Everlasting God", it made me realize that my eternal perspective has been very skewed.
I am too determined to satisfy the flesh by doing things with immediate results, instead of working to fulfill eternal acclomplishments, which never involve immediate results. It requires patience, diligence, consistency that I'm never good at. But mostly patience and trust that they are really doing something that will end in a good outcome. So I just throw in the towel and do things I am good at, which really is just sending me into an endless cycle. I'm not saying I need to completely ignore my household duties, or stop using my compter, or stop watching any tv, etc. But if that's all I do, then I'm way out of balance. And unfortunately, that takes alot of my time daily.
Ultimately my relationship with God is top priority, but I believe my kids' walk with Christ is just as high of a priority over all those other things, because it all comes down to this, do I want them to live in heaven with Jesus eternally and for me to be able to live eternally with them? Do I want them to experience the joy and excitement of being in an intimate relationship with God here on earth? Yes! Then what am I waiting for?
Am I finding too much value in things that are sure to pass away and stay here on earth once I go to heaven? I have to say yes. And that needs to change.
Lord, grant me discernment and an obedient heart over the choices I make each and every day. Give me wisdom and a heavenly perspective from You, O Lord. And may I walk in the Truth that everything I do will ultimately bring an eternal outcome, whether that be contributing to Your eternal purpose or whether it be hindering it.
In the Power and Glory of Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Deep, beautiful, and so true. Thanks for this insight today. I needed to read it.

Thanks for such a warm reception in welcoming us back home. I look forward to spending more time with you and your girls. Perryn really enjoys playing with them.
Blessings.