Monday, December 7, 2009

The Wife's Role

I feel this is a good follow-up to my letter to my husband I posted last week. God just gave me a neat picture last night of what my role as his wife is supposed to look like and used something that I love to do the most, to show me clearly.
Over the past several years, I have been given the privelege of being part of our praise team at our church as a background vocal. Worship thru music is something that my heart beats to and it really is a passion of mine. And I love singing harmonies with our worship team the most. I have never felt very comfortable singing solos which also kind of falls in line with my point I'm about to make.
All that to say, last night as I was singing back-up for our band during the evening service, I felt the Lord speak to my heart thru it. He said to me "As a wife, this is really what your role is to your husband". To be specific, I am to be in harmony with my "lead man", my husband, but in a way of support, not a way being out in lead with him. We can hold hands together in our journey, but I am still to let him be the lead. The word says that we are to come up under them, to lift them up and support our husbands, so that they can fulfill their role as the leader of our families.

On the contrary, what does it look like when I am not in harmony with him? It's like "the fat lady singing" behind a lead singer, trying to be in charge where it has not been given, or sounding like a clanging symbol where it is not to be played. This, as we know will only throw off the band leader, and the same goes with our husbands. We play a important role to give our husband an environment where they can feel confident and able to lead out as God has called them. If we try to beat to our own drum, or be in charge where charge isn't given, it then throws him off, along with the rest of the "band" (or family).

We are simply to follow their lead and find a harmony that works with what they are doing, and that applies even if we don't always agree with what they are doing. And in both cases, thru music and thru our marriages, if we can find harmony, we are worshipping our Creator wholeheartedly as one and able to move forward together into His perfect plan.

In reality, I know like probably most women will say, I have fallen so short of this time and time again. This can easily make you feel like it's a standard you can't meet. But the truth is, it's a heart issue. What is your heart beating with today? Is it trying to beat to it's own drum or is it in line with the position God has put us in. This is not a way to make anyone out there feel inadequate or less than me or anyone else. It is just simply a picture of God's purpose in a marriage, something worth praying about and allowing the Lord to work out any "wrong notes" that we may be "singing" as we are living out our marriages.

3 comments:

Shelly C said...

love it sweetie... you speak right to the heart.

Anonymous said...

what of the woman in church who does not have a husband to ask what she is told in scripture she cannot ask in church herself...

my thinking is that there is something deeper symbolic about wife and husband ...male and female...female the weaker vessel..namely the symbolic understanding that woman is as the receptive subconscious or heart mind in both sexes and male is symbolic of the active conscious mind...
and if one considers it thus..
it makes sense that the conscious mind has the greater power but both are essential... as the nature of one's subconscious habits is in many ways determined by one's conscious choices and in order to know one's heart fully one's conscious desires and choices should all be in submission to the will of god the father ..whose will is to consider the needs of others before one's own as jesus did.... perfectly and jesus also told us we may be one with god the father as he is and we can do greater things than he did...in terms as by believing and following his teachings we can be a channel to reach more souls as a church than he did in his life...

when one manifests the will of god the father ..one is manifesting holy spirit ..one is a perfect nurturer as that famous st francis prayer goes..... and thus this nurturing comforter of the holy spirit..even tho in scripture in the new testament it is called he..it is the wise woman of proverbs and is ..god the mother

Anonymous said...

I HAD MISTAKENLY ADDED COMMENTS TO THE the post following
THE WIFE'S ROLE
so now i am pasting them here where i had intended them to go...
Anonymous said...
oh i meant to say about the woman not speaking in church ...in my previous comment here...

symbolically woman as the receptive mind when in church..in meditation to receive god's message should keep silent so as to properly hear god and not be adding one's own 2 cents where it does not belong distorting what god would say to one... but concerns that do arise during meditiation ...after one comes out of meditation one asks one husband..one's conscious mind to put it into prayer to ask god then for the answer thru meditation when one listens for god's answers to one's prayers ....
then to make it all work together for the good ... accept god's call thru your meditation to apply it in service to the glory of god ..not for the glory of self..
thus putting prayer meditation and service to together we have the good kind of pms:)

December 19, 2009 8:11 AM


Anonymous said...
well now
the previous comment from me...
anonymous ...
mentioned that it was in addition to the previous comment of mine
but lo
someway that comment
i musta failed to follow the instructions about gettin it posted
as it is not nary to be seen
sigh

December 19, 2009 11:13 AM