Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Teaching Moments with My Children

"Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth."
Psalm 1247:3-4

This verse really shows how important it is to train our children to live Godly lives. They are an arrow that we are called to guide in the right direction. What a great responsibility that is for us as parents.
This week, I've gotten back to reading Hannah's One-Year Bible with her. I bought it last year with the intention of reading with her every night for a year...ha! but got out of the habit after a month..(cringe) I've been quite convicted lately about my lack of spiritual training I've given my kids overall, and with that, God has stirred up a fresh desire to jump back into to it and trust that he wil use every effort I give for His ultimate Glory.
This week, as I've been reading with Hannah, the Lord brought 1 John 1:9 to my mind as I was teaching Hannah about confessed sin and the supernatural result of that when the Holy Spirit is in us as believers of Jesus. She is a believer so it's great that she can already apply this. I then challenged Hannah to name a sin that she has seen someone commit at school. We discussed that some, and then we went into other examples of sin, which gave her something to identify with, so she'll know when to depend on the Holy Spirit to help her not sin, and make the right choices. I also told her how even worry is a sin, because it's the opposite of faith and it's not trusting God in a certain situation, and I shared with her that I struggle with that sin daily.
So last night, she wrote down 1 John 1:9 in her journal as her memory verse this week, and then I asked Hannah to name a sin that she has committed that she needs to confess. She said that she was worried yesterday about not doing well in a challenging situation in a P.E. activity they were given. So we talked about that a little, then I opened up our story for the night, and lo and behold, it was about King Saul and how he hid after he was named king, because was worried and anxious over not doing a good job with a great responsibility, and wasn't trusting the Holy Spirit within him to give him the wisdom and ability to do his job well. And the verse that corresponded with it was this:
"Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you" 1 Peter 5:7
I was floored, that God led Hannah to share something that applied directly to our Bible reading so that I could show her through scripture how God can help her in that situation.

Thank you, Lord, that you have guided my efforts already as I strive to disciple my children so they can know that you can and will meet their every need in their daily lives. Amen

2 comments:

Tim Waters said...

I am so blessed to have a wife who desires to disciple our daughters...and not because she thinks its a duty but because she wants her girls to know Jesus.

And I am even more thankful to the Holy Spirit for opening these doors and making it easier for you.

Love you darlin'....

Beth said...

Awwww.... ;-)
(to the above comment)

And, it is neat to hear that God is at work. I still remember the post you wrote to the forum at church or maybe it was the ABF one where you were burdened about loving your kids better. I think God heard the cries of your heart, don't you?!